Toledo Falls Short in First Round of MAC Tournament to Ball State
MUNCIE, IN – The Toledo men's tennis team was unable to capture its success from earlier this season against Ball State, as the Rockets fell to the Cardinals 4-1 on Friday in the first round of the Mid-American Conference Tournament at Cardinal Creek Tennis Center.
The Rockets previously defeated Ball State 4-3 on Sunday, March 30.
“We just got outplayed today at some spots,” head coach Al Wermer said. “I felt like our doubles didn't progress in the last month, and that could have made a huge difference in duals and the championship.”
Toledo fell down early, losing two of three in doubles, as the Cardinals took the first point of the match.
Juniors Mark Singnil and Nicky Wong recorded the only victory in doubles play for UT, winning 8-2 in the No. 2 doubles spot.
Freshman Stjepan Sisko capped off a solid season, with a 6-2, 6-1 victory in the top singles spot. It would be the only point the Rockets would score in the match, as BSU won three singles matches to clinch a berth in the championship match on Saturday.
Sisko finished the season with a 16-8 freshman campaign and was undefeated in MAC play.
The Rockets lose senior Ben Brocker, but will return a solid core of players in the 2014 fall season.
Ball State 4, TOLEDO 1
1. Stjepan Sisko (TOL) def. Ray Leonard (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Mark Singnil (TOL) vs. Patrick Elliott (BSU) 4-6, 1-4, unfinished
3. Lucas Andersen (BSU) def. Nicky Wong (TOL) 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Austin Smith (BSU) def. Ryan Jorgensen (TOL) 6-2, 6-1
5. Patrick Downs (BSU) def. Roberto Meza (TOL) 6-3, 6-1
6. Garrett Cona (TOL) vs. Andrew Stutz (BSU) 6-2, 4-5, unfinished
1. Austin Smith/Ray Leonard (BSU) def. Garrett Cona/Stjepan Sisko (TOL) 8-5
2. Mark Singnil/Nicky Wong (TOL) def. Patrick Elliott/Andrew Stutz (BSU) 8-2
3. Lucas Andersen/Matt Helm (BSU) def. Roberto Meza/Ryan Jorgensen (TOL) 8-5