Toledo, OH - The Toledo men's tennis team's hopes for Mid-American Conference championship were dashed on Thursday, April 26, as it was defeated by Ball State, 4-0, in the conference quarterfinals. It is the second year in a row that the Cardinals eliminated the Midnight Blue and Gold, winning 4-1 in the 2011 championship match.
The Rockets end their 2012 campaign with a record of 15-12, including a 1-4 conference record during the regular-season. Including UT's loss to Western Michigan in the final regular-season contest, Thursday's defeat was only the second home loss the team suffered this season. It had accumulated an 11-0 mark to that point, including indoor and outdoor competition.
Playing in his final match in a Toledo uniform, senior captain Leo Sarria lost his No. 2 singles matchup against BSU's Albertin, 6-3, 7-6(5). He did get one win on the day, however, teaming with Tomas Stillman in the No. 1 doubles spot to defeat the Cardinals' Albertin/Leonard duo, 8-3.
The Rockets did not officially record any victories in singles play, as all matches in action were abandoned when Ball State sealed the match-clinching fourth-point in No. 1 singles.
"Our guys put forth an incredible effort and I thought we would win right up until the moment we lost," said head coach Al Wermer. "The singles were amazing battles. Unfortunately the doubles was a similar story we've seen before: the good, the bad, and the ugly. It definitely put us at a disadvantage."
No. 4 Ball State 4, No. 5 Toledo 0
1. Leo Sarria/Tomas Stillman (UT) def. Dalton Albertin/Ray Leonard (BSU), 8-3
2. Zane Smith/Derek Carpenter (BSU) def. Grant Adams/Nick Wong (UT), 8-5
3. Patrick Elliott/Andres Monroy (BSU) def. Garrett Cona/Bryant Dudzik (UT), 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Ray Leonard (BSU) def. Tomas Stillman (UT), 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(3)
2. Daltin Albertin (BSU) def. Leo Sarria (UT), 6-3, 7-6(5)
3. Nick Wong (UT) vs. Zane Smith (BSU), 6-1, 2-6, unfinished
4. Grant Adams (UT) vs. Austin Smith (BSU), 4-6, 6-1, unfinished
5. Patrick Elliott (BSU) def. Bryant Dudzik (UT), 7-5, 6-4
6. Terence Weigand (UT) vs. Alexandre Brym (BSU), 7-5, 4-6, unfinished
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 1
Contact: Brad Pettiford