Rockets Lose To Western Michigan In Regular Season Finale
TOLEDO, OH - The Toledo men’s tennis team closed out its regular season on Saturday, losing 6-1 to Western Michigan at the UT Varsity Tennis Courts.
“We put some extra pressure on ourselves today,” head coach Al Wermer said. “Stjepan was spectacular and Nick played a great match. But we’re already focused on a championship at next weekend’s MAC Tournament.”
The Rockets (9-7, 2-2 MAC) received their only win from freshman Stjepan Sisko, who posted a 6-2, 6-0 victory in No. 1 singles. Sisko improved to 15-8 on the year in singles play, with a 2-4 record at the top singles spot.
Toledo fell behind early, losing two doubles matches, and were unable to get any momentum in singles play.
Junior Nicky Wong lost a tough match in three sets in the No. 3 singles spot, and the Broncos won every other match in straight sets.
The Rockets will get ready for the MAC Championships beginning Friday, April 25 in Muncie, IN. Toledo is the No. 2 seed in the tournament, and will play the winner of tomorrow’s Ball State and Buffalo match in the first round.
Western Michigan 6, TOLEDO 1
1. Sisko (TOL) def. Indre (WMU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Greiner (WMU) def. Singnil (TOL) 6-4, 6-1
3. Cahn (WMU) def. Wong (TOL) 2-6, 6-4, 12-10
4. Hamilton (WMU) def. Meza (TOL) 7-5, 6-2
5. Treis (WMU) def. Cona (TOL) 6-1, 6-4
6. Mora (WMU) def. Brocker (TOL) 7-6, 6-3
1. Greiner/Indre (WMU) vs. Cona/Sisko (TOL) 6-6, unfinished
2. Cahn/Payne (WMU) def. Singnil/Wong (TOL) 8-5
3. Hamilton/Treis (WMU) def. Jorgensen/Meza (TOL) 8-4