NIU Outlasts Rockets 4-3 In Conference Matchup
DEKALB, IL - The Toledo men's tennis team suffered its first conference setback on Saturday, losing 4-3 to Northern Illinois, who leads the Mid-American Conference with a 3-0 record.
"We can definitely play better in singles and especially in doubles," head coach Al Wermer said. "But we're really proud of how we battled back again. We're still getting better, no doubt."
The Rockets (9-16, 2-1 MAC) lost two matches in doubles as the Huskies (17-5, 3-0 MAC) claimed the first point of the match.
Sophomore Garrett Cona and freshman Stjepan Sisko took on the nation's No. 83 doubles team in NIU's Dor Amier and Axel Lagerlof, but were defeated 8-3 in the top doubles spot. NIU also won at No. 3 doubles with an 8-5 win over junior Roberto Meza and freshman Boris Pak.
Toledo bounced back in singles, winning three of the six matchups.
Sisko won 7-6, 6-3 in No. 2 singles, Meza scored a 6-1, 6-1 victory in No. 4 singles and Cona fought back from an early deficit to win 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 in the fifth singles spot. Sisko's win was his fourth straight and 14th of the season.
The three wins were not enough, however, as the Huskies outlasted the Rockets 4-3.
The Rockets close out their regular season slate Saturday, April 19 with their home finale against Western Michigan. The match is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m. at the UT Varsity Tennis Courts.
Northern Illinois 4, TOLEDO 3
1. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Mark Singnil (Toledo) 6-2, 6-4
2. Stjepan Sisko (Toledo) def. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) 7-6, 6-3
3. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Nicky Wong (Toledo) 6-1, 6-0
4. Roberto Meza (Toledo) def. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Garrett Cona (Toledo) def. Simon Formont (NIU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Matt Lynch (NIU) def. Ben Brocker (Toledo) 6-1, 6-2
1. No. 83 Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) def. Cona/Sisko (Toledo) 8-3
2. Formont/Cadieux (NIU) vs. Singnil/Wong (Toledo) DNF
3. Lynch/Zeljkovic (NIU) def. Meza/Boris Pak (Toledo) 8-5