Rockets Defeat No. 20 Aquinas College 5-2
"This was a very productive day,” head coach Al Wermer said. “We rested a couple guys and yet we continue seeing the confidence build in our lower lineup with Nos. 4, 5 and 6 singles all winning.”
The Rockets opened up the match by claiming the doubles point, winning two of three matches.
Freshman Boris Pak and junior Roberto Meza teamed up in No. 2 doubles to score an 8-5 win, while senior Ben Brocker and sophomore Ryan Jorgensen won 8-3 in the No. 3 spot.
Junior Mark Singnil and sophomore Garrett Cona led 7-6 in No. 1 doubles when the match was called early.
In singles, Singnil, the reigning Mid-American Conference Player of the Week, continued his hot play by winning his fourth straight match by the score of 6-1, 6-3 in the top singles spot. He leads the team with a 16-5 record on the year.
Cona also recorded a singles victory, winning in straight sets 6-3, 6-1 in No. 4 singles. Brocker's win in the No. 5 singles spot clinched the match for Toledo, and Pak added a victory in the final singles slot, 7-5, 7-5.
The Rockets continue their conference slate on Saturday, April 12 with an away match at Northern Illinois. The match is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m. (CT).
TOLEDO 5, Aquinas College 2
1. Mark Singnil (TOL) def. Aaron Hendrick (AQMT) 6-1, 6-3
2. Kristoff Saari (AQMT) def. Ryan Jorgensen (TOL) 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
3. Nik Artaev (AQMT) def. Roberto Meza (TOL) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
4. Garrett Cona (TOL) def. Fisher Sutherland (AQMT) 6-3, 6-1
5. Ben Brocker (TOL) def. Frankie Fischer (AQMT) 7-5, 6-3
6. Boris Pak (TOL) def. Gunnar Peery (AQMT) 7-5, 7-5
1. Garrett Cona/Mark Singnil (TOL) vs. Aaron Hendrick/Nik Artaev (AQMT) 7-6, unfinished
2. Boris Pak/Roberto Meza (TOL) def. Kristoff Saari/Fisher Sutherland (AQMT) 8-5
3. Ben Brocker/Ryan Jorgensen (TOL) def. Frankie Fischer/Andy Struble (AQMT) 8-3