Rockets Win Second Match of the Weekend, Defeating Bradley 6-1
FORT WAYNE, IN - The Toledo women’s tennis team won for the second time this weekend, defeating Bradley 6-1 on Saturday, Feb. 15 in Fort Wayne, IN.
“I feel like we controlled this match from start to finish,” head coach Tracy Mauntler said. “The best part about this team is that we have players stepping up from all different places in the lineup. Our depth is what will make us successful this season.”
The Rockets won all but one match on the day, including all three doubles matchups.
Junior Pia Rygh and sophomore Katelyn Nguyen scored their second victory of the weekend in No. 2 doubles, recording a 8-0 sweep, and improving to 6-2 on the year.
Junior Lexy Pitt and sophomore Emily Mazzola rebounded from a loss on Friday, narrowly earning an 8-7 win in No. 1 singles. Sophomore Mackenzie Bowman and freshman Lauren Thai also made up for their loss on Friday, winning 8-5 in the No. 3 doubles spot.
In singles competition, senior Chrissy Coffman improved to 5-3 in No. 1 singles, winning in straight sets 6-1, 6-2.
Nguyen also earned a singles victory in the No. 2 slot, winning 6-4, 6-4, while Rygh, Pitt and Bowman were victorious in No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles, respectively.
Pitt’s singles win boosted her record to 6-1 on the year.
The Rockets will travel to Cleveland on Saturday, Feb. 22 for a match against Cleveland State before their spring break trip to Palmas del Mar, Puerto Rico.
Toledo 6, Bradley 1
1. Lexy Pitt/Emily Mazzola (TOL) def. Adele Henke/Ashley Thai (BRAD) 8-7
2. Katelyn Nguyen/Pia Rygh (TOL) def. Carly Miles/Sarah Rodefeld (BRAD) 8-0
3. Mackenzie Bowman/Lauren Thai (TOL) def. Cassia Wojtalik/Ariel Dechter (BRAD) 8-5
1. Chrissy Coffman (TOL) def. Adele Henke (BRAD) 6-1, 6-2
2. Katelyn Nguyen (TOL) def. Ariel Dechter (BRAD) 6-4, 6-4
3. Ashley Thai (BRAD) def. Emily Mazzola (TOL) 6-4, 5-7, 10-6
4. Pia Rygh (TOL) def. Sarah Rodefeld (BRAD) 6-1, 6-1
5. Lexy Pitt (TOL) def. Cassia Wojtalik (BRAD) 6-1, 6-0
6. Mackenzie Bowman (TOL) def. Carly Miles (BRAD) 6-3, 6-2