Rockets Defeat UIC 4-3 For First Time in Program History
TOLEDO, OH - The UT women’s tennis team earned a hard fought 4-3 victory on Saturday, Feb. 8 over UIC at Shadow Valley Tennis Club.
The Rockets had never beaten UIC, a team that has won the Horizon League the past 17 years and has made the NCAA Tournament 15 times in a row.
“This was a great team win for us today,” head coach Tracy Mauntler said. “To beat a team that we’ve never beaten is a great accomplishment. I’m extremely proud of the players because they really worked hard for this one.”
Toledo claimed the doubles point to open the day, as they won in both the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles slots. Sophomore Katelyn Nguyen and junior Pia Rygh earned a 6-1 victory in the No. 2 spot, and freshman Lauren Thai and sophomore Mackenzie Bowman won No. 3 doubles with a dominating 6-0 performance.
Nguyen added a 6-1, 6-1 singles victory in the No. 2 spot, and junior Lexy Pitt put the Rockets up 3-0 with a win in No. 6 singles. Senior Chrissy Coffman would clinch the match with a 6-1, 7-5 victory in No. 1 singles, scoring the all important fourth point.
Toledo is back in action tomorrow with its second home match of the weekend as they welcome Detroit to Shadow Valley.
Toledo 4, UIC 3
1. Chrissy Coffman (TOL) def. Mariana Palacios (UIC) 6-1, 7-5
2. Katelyn Nguyen (TOL) def. Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Kathryn Sharples (UIC) def. Pia Rygh (TOL) 7-5, 3-6, 10-3
4. Jana Knoppe (UIC) def. Emily Mazzola (TOL) 6-7, 7-6, 11-9
5. Keti Mebuke (UIC) def. Mackenzie Bowman (TOL) 6-4, 7-5
6. Lexy Pitt (TOL) def. Veronica Lacerda (UIC) 6-1, 6-2
1. Lexy Pitt/Emily Mazzola (TOL) vs. MarianaPalacios/Natalia Kuvakina (UIC) 2-4, unfinished
2. Katelyn Nguyen/Pia Rygh (TOL) def. Kathryn Sharples/Jana Knoppe (UIC) 6-1
3. Lauren Thai/Mackenzie Bowman (TOL) def. Keti Mebuke/Veronica Lacerda (UIC) 6-0