TOLEDO, Ohio - The Toledo women's tennis team's chance to qualify for the conference post-season slipped away during a 6-1 loss to Buffalo on Saturday. The Rockets needed a win and Eastern Michigan loss to earn a spot in next week's championship in Muncie, Ind, but the home team couldn't get it going against a tough Bulls' squad.
Buffalo clinched the sixth and final berth to the tournament via tiebreaker rules. The Bulls finished tied for fifth in the league with Western Michigan and Eastern Michigan.
After dropping the doubles point in three close matches, UT tied the match, 1-1, when sophomore Pia Rygh claimed No. 2 singles quickly in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1.
Nothing else bounced UT's way as the Midnight Blue & Gold were swept in the remaining five singles matches.
The closest match happened at the sixth flight where senior Silvia Carvajal went down in a three-set battle, marking the end of her four-year career.
Toledo finished the spring with an 8-13 overall record and 2-6 ledger in league play. UT returns six letterwinners and will be back in action next fall.
Buffalo 6, Toledo 1
1. Miranda Podlas/Gopika Kapoor (UB) def. Lexy Pitt/Emily Mazzola (UT), 8-6
2. Tanvi Shah/Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Pia Rygh/Mackenzie Bowman (UT), 9-7
3. Laura Fernandez/Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Silvia Carvajal/Kate Nguyen (UT), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Kate Nguyen (UT), 6-0, 6-2
2. Pia Rygh (UT) def. Miranda Podlas (UB), 6-1, 6-1
3. Gopika Kapoor (UB) def. Chrissy Coffman (UT), 6-1, 6-4
4. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Emily Mazzola (UT), 6-3, 6-2
5. Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Lexy Pitt (UT), 6-4, 6-4
6. Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Silvia Carvajal (UT), 1-6, 6-4, 6-3