Rockets Drop Conference Opener to Ball State, 5-2
Toledo, OH – Toledo’s seven-match win streak was snapped by visiting Ball State on Saturday afternoon, 5-2. With the loss Toledo moves to 18-7 on the year and 0-1 in league play. The Rockets are back in action next week when they host Buffalo on Sunday, April 7. That match will begin at 1:00 p.m. at the UT Varsity Tennis Courts.
"Not to take anything away from Ball State, but I'm surprised and stunned that we played such a poor match," UT head coach Al Wermer said. "The only good thing about today was the weather, it was was beautiful. But we're going to do what Rockets do and get back to work. You can count on that."
Toledo and Ball State opened the first outdoor match on Toledo’s campus this spring by splitting a pair of doubles matches, each by a score of 8-4.
The doubles point came down to the final matchup in the top flight, where BSU’s Leonard and Elliot squeezed by UT sophomores Tomas Stillman and Nicky Wong in a tiebreaker, 9-8 (7-2).
In singles competition, Stillman and senior Francisco Stuardo notched the only victories for UT. Stillman claimed a 6-3, 6-2 win at the top spot, while Stuardo also took the third match in straight sets.
Sophomore Grant Adams suffered his first loss of the season at No. 2 singles (15-1), ending his win streak during individual play at 16.
Wong fell short in a tight match in the fourth slot, losing in a tiebreaker in set two, 10-8.
BallState 5, Toledo 2
- Leonard/Elliot (BSU) def. Stillman/Wong (UT) 9-8 (7-2)
- Adams/Stuardo (UT) def. Morrison/Albertin (BSU) 8-4
- Brym/Arconado (BSU) def. Dudzik/Jorgensen (UT) 8-4
- Stillman (UT) def. Leonard (BSU) 6-3, 6-2
- Morrison (BSU) def. Adams (UT) 6-4, 6-1
- Stuardo (UT) def. Albertin (BSU) 6-3, 6-2
- Brym (BSU) def. Wong (UT) 6-4, 6-7 (10-8)
- Elliot (BSU) def. Weigand (UT) 6-4, 6-2
- Smith (BSU) def. Dudzik (UT) 6-4, 6-1