Toledo Downed by Fourth-Ranked Ohio State on Sunday Night, 4-0
COLUMBUS, OH - Toledo lost to No. 4 Ohio State on Sunday night by a final count of 4-0. Play was stopped inside the OSU Varsity Tennis Courts once the Buckeyes clinched the match with the fourth point.
"I think we're getting tougher," UT Head Coach Al Wermer said. "We have to improve in every spot and I know we will, but it's a process, and the more hard matches we endure, the more we learn to fight back together."
The Rockets fell behind early in singles competition and could not register a winning set against the Bucks. Sophomore Grant Adams played the closest match at the No. 3 slot, losing 5-7 to Connor Smith in the first set before being cut off during the second.
Sophomore Nicky Wong kept the No. 4 singles match competitive as well, playing Ille Van Engelen to the tune of 3-6, 2-3 before also being stopped in the second set.
The Midnight Blue & Gold were also swept in doubles play. UT's two seniors Bryant Dudzik and Terence Weigand were taken down at the No. 2 position, 4-8.
With the loss, Toledo's record drops to 5-3 overall.
UT will travel to Youngstown State on Friday, Feb. 1 for a Noon matchup against the Penguins.
Ohio State 4, Toledo 0
1. Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Tomas Stillman (UT) 6-1, 6-0
2. Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Francisco Stuardo (UT) 6-1, 6-2
3. Connor Smith (OSU) vs. Grant Adams (UT) 7-5, 0-1, unfinished
4. Ille Van Engelen (OSU) vs. Nicholas Wong (UT) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
5. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Roberto Meza (UT) 6-0, 6-0
6. Constantin Christ (OSU) vs. Bryant Dudzik (UT) 6-0, 3-0, unfinished
1. Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Tomas Stillman/Nicholas Wong (UT) 8-1
2. Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Bryant Dudzik/Terence Weigand (UT) 8-4
3. Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Grant Adams/Francisco Stuardo (UT) 8-2
Toledo University 5-3
Ohio State 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,1,2)