Rockets Finish Weekend Undefeated with Win Over Youngstown State
TOLEDO, OH - The Toledo women's tennis team produced a 5-2 victory over Youngstown State on Saturday night. The win is the second in as many days for the Rockets inside the Toledo Shadow Valley Tennis Club, improving their record to 2-1.
"We had another solid effort from our freshman today," UT Head Coach Tracy Mauntler said. "It was also good to see the ladies get up early on their opponents and never look back in singles."
The Rockets picked up four victories at No. 3-6 singles, all in straight sets. Junior Chrissy Coffman defeated YSU's Annina Brendel at No. 3, 6-2, 6-0. Freshmen Mackenzie Bowman and Katelyn Nguyen claimed the No. 4 and 5 matches, respectively, while senior Silvia Carvajal won the final No. 6 match by scores of 6-1, 6-1 over YSU's Tioana Raicevic.
Sophomore Pia Rygh played her third match at the No. 1 singles spot and almost came away victorious, falling in three sets to Maria Burak - 6-7 (4), 6-0, 10-4.
UT took two-of-three in doubles action to earn another point. The freshmen duo of Bowman and Emily Mazzola remained undefeated on the season by winning the No. 2 match, 8-4. Carvajal and Nguyen also paired up for an 8-4 victory at No. 3 doubles.
Toledo will host Cleveland State on Friday, Feb. 1 and then travel to Michigan State on Saturday, Feb. 2. Friday's match with the Vikings is slated for a 1:00 p.m. start.
Toledo 5, Youngstown State 2
1. Pia Rygh/Lexy Pitt lost to Maria Burak/Carolyn Jesico 7-8(5)
2. Mackenzie Bowman/Emily Mazzola def. Lauren Hankle/Annina Brendel 8-4
3. Silvia Carvajal/Katelyn Nguyen def. Gimena Puppo/Tioana Raicevic 8-4
1. Rygh lost to Burak 6-7(4), 6-0, 10-4
2. Pitt lost to Hankle 5-7, 4-6
3. Coffman def. Brendel 6-2, 6-0
4. Bowman def. Jesico 6-1, 6-1
5. Nguyen def, Puppo 6-4, 6-0
6. Carvajal def. Raicevic 6-1, 6-1