Rockets Win Home Opener Against Walsh, 6-1; Beat Detroit on the Road, 4-3
Southfield, MI - Toledo (4-2) used a come-from-behind effort to defeat Detroit (0-4) 4-3 at the Franklin Athletic Club on Sunday night. The win came in the nightcap of a doubleheader after UT took down Walsh (0-1) earlier in the day by a score of 6-1 at the Shadow Valley Tennis Club. Toledo improves to 4-2 on the season and is off to its best start through six matches since 2011 when it had the same record.
Sophomore Nicky Wong clinched the win for UT over Detroit with a three-set victory at No. 3 singles. Wong took the first set 6-3 and then dropped the second set 4-6, before rebounding for another 6-3 victory in the deciding set.
Tomas Stillman has been the mainstay at No. 1 singles and came through with a victory over the Titans in straight sets, 7-6 (5-7), 6-4. The Harlingen, TX native now has a 3-1 record in four matches played.
Sophomore Grant Adams and junior Ben Brocker picked up the other two wins for UT. Adams was awarded the victory at No. 2 singles after his opponent retired in the second set. Brocker claimed No. 6 singles with a 6-2, 7-5.
Detroit swept the doubles point with a victory at the No. 1 and No. 3 matches.
Earlier in the day, Toledo took care of business in its home opener versus Walsh, 6-1. The Rockets won every point except at No. 1 singles.
Redshirt freshman and Toledo native Ryan Jorgensen earned his first collegiate win at No. 6 singles, winning in straight sets 6-2, 6-0.
Toledo will host Binghamton and Northwestern Ohio next Saturday, Jan. 26, and then hit the road for a tough matchup with No. 4 Ohio State in Columbus, OH.
Toledo 6, Walsh 1
1. Stillman/Wong def. Cabezon/Thomas 8-1
2. Jorgensen/Weigand def. Pucci/Jaque 8-1
3. Brocker/Meza vs. Portelanie/Gable Unfinished
1. Cabezon def. Adams 6-4, 6-3
2. Wong def. Thomas 6-3, 6-1
3. Meza def. Portelanie 6-4, 6-1
4. Weigand def. Jaque 6-0, 6-3
5. Brocker def. Gable 6-3, 6-2
6. Jorgensen def. Bilinuvich 6-2, 6-0
Toledo 4, Detroit 3
1. Latosinsky/Basha def. Stillman/Wong 8-6
2. Joshi/Orantes vs. Dudzik/Weigand 7-5, Unfinished
3. Serrano/Cheung def. Adams/Jorgensen 8-0
1. STILLMAN def. LATOSINSKY 7-6 (5-7), 6-4
2. ADAMS def. NUNEZ 5-3, retired
3. WONG def. BASHA 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
4. CHEUNG def. WEIGAND 6-3, 6-4
5. ORANTES def. MEZA 6-3, 6-0
6. BROCKER def. JOSHI 6-2, 7-5