Toledo Splits Pair of Opening Day Matches at Purdue's Schwartz Tennis Center
Sophomore Tomas Stillman led Toledo (1-1) with two wins in doubles competition and a win at No. 1 singles against IUPUI.
The Rockets will close out opening weekend when they take on Butler at approximately 1:00 p.m. Sunday in Indianapolis.
"The guys began to play better as the day wore on," UT head coach Al Wermer said. "We were a little stiff versus Purdue although the doubles got very interesting. In the second match, we got the mojo going and wore IUPUI down. I really like our positivity to start the season."
Stillman teamed up with sophomore Nicky Wong in the No. 1 doubles spot to record the only win against Purdue. The duo defeated No. 118 Diego Acosta and Aaron Dujovne, 8-5.
Wong gave the best performance in singles action against the Boilermakers. He was the only Rocket who did not lose in straight sets at No. 4.
Senior Francisco Stuardo played in the No. 2 singles slot in the first match of his Rocket career. The junior-college transfer lost 3-6, 1-6 to Mark Kovacs.
UT has now dropped the previous seven matches to Purdue, as the Boilermakers now lead the all-time series 8-1.
The Rocket's offseason conditioning showed in the afternoon match versus IUPUI.
Stillman and Wong teamed up again at No. 1 doubles for a dominant 8-1 victory, and redshirt freshman Ryan Jorgensen paired up with sophomore Grant Adams for an 8-3 win at No. 3 to claim the doubles point.
Stillman, Adams, Wong and sophomore Roberto Meza each won their singles match in straight sets, playing No. 1, 2, 3 and 4, respectively.
At No. 5 singles, junior Ben Brocker defeated IUPUI's Joel Modesitt 7-6, 2-6, 10-6 in the only match of the day that went to a third set.
Purdue 7, Toledo 0
1. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) def. Tomas Stillman (TOL) 6-3, 6-3
2. Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Francisco Stuardo (TOL) 6-3, 6-1
3. #118 Diego Acosta (PUR) def. Grant Adams (TOL) 6-3, 6-4
4. Pawel Poziomski (PUR) def. Nicky Wong (TOL) 2-6, 6-0, 6-3
5. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) def. Roberto Meza (TOL) 6-1, 6-0
6. Krisztian Krocsko (PUR) def. Ben Brocker (TOL) 6-0, 6-3
1. Tomas Stillman/Nicky Wong (TOL) def. Diego Acosta/Aaron Dujovne (PUR) 8-5
2. Krisztian Krocsko/Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR) def. Bryant Dudzik/Terence Wiegand (TOL) 8-6
3. Pawel Poziomski/Mark Kovacs (PUR) def. Grant Adams/Francisco Stuardo (TOL) 8-2
Toledo 6, IUPUI 1
1. Tomas Stillman (TOL) def. Jason Jaruvang (IUPUI) 6-4, 6-3
2. Grant Adams (TOL) def. Nick Volz (IUPUI) 7-5, 6-0
3. Nicky Wong (TOL) def. Thomas Gans (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-2
4. Roberto Meza (TOL) def. Jacob Bradley (IUPUI) 6-4, 6-2
5. Ben Brocker (TOL) def. Joel Modesitt (IUPUI) 7-6, 2-6, 10-6
6. Louis Sacks (IUPUI) def. Bryant Dudzik (TOL) 6-2, 6-3
1. Tomas Stillman/Nicky Wong (TOL) def. Patrick O'Neill/Jason Jaruvang (IUPUI) 8-1
2. Jacob Bradley/Nick Volz (IUPUI) vs. Bryant Dudzik/Terence Wiegand (TOL) DNF
3. Ryan Jorgensen/Grant Adams (TOL) def. Joel Modesitt/Thomas Gans (IUPUI) 8-3