Rockets to Head to Sunshine State for Two-Game Tourney at FGCU
Date: Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2012
Tip-Off: 4:30 p.m.
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Arena: Alico Arena (4,500)
Radio: Rocket Radio Network WSPD (1370 AM) in Toledo. Alex Perlman will call the play-by-play for the broadcast.
Series tied 1-1.
- Toledo (0-3) remains on the road when it travels to Fort Myers, FL for a two-game tournament at Florida Gulf Coast University. The Rockets will open play against Samford (1-3) at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 21, while the host Eagles (2-2) will face Alcorn State (1-3) at 7:00 p.m. The winners will battle each other at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 22, while the losers will square off at 4:30 p.m.
- UT dropped its first three games of the season on a seven-day roadtrip covering three states. The Rockets opened with a 62-50 setback at the Horizon League's Loyola (IL) on Nov. 9 before falling by an 82-56 margin at Big Ten foe Minnesota on Nov. 12. Toledo then put together its best performance of the season in an 84-81 (OT) loss at Missouri Valley Conference power Northern Iowa.
- Toledo is the overwhelming favorite to win the Mid-American Conference's West Division after posting a 19-17 overall mark and 7-9 league ledger last year. The Rockets, who registered the second-largest turnaround in the nation last year with a +15-win improvement, return all five starters including preseason MAC West Division honorees Julius Brown and Rian Pearson.
- Brown leads the Rockets with 15.7 ppg with Pearson right behind him with 14.7 ppg. Senior G Dominique Buckley and freshman C Nathan Boothe are just under double digits with 9.3 ppg and 9.0 ppg, respectively.
- Brown produced one of the best outings of his career at FGCU's Alico Arena with a career-high tying 29 points and career-best seven treys in UT's 83-80 loss to the Eagles on Dec. 22, 2012.
- Samford posted a 1-3 win-loss mark this season with two of their losses coming at nationally ranked foes Louisville and Memphis. Freshman F Tim Williams leads the Bulldogs with 18.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.8 spg and 1.5 bpg.
ON THE HORIZON