Buffalo, NY - The Toledo women's tennis team came away with a huge victory today, as it defeated Buffalo, 4-3, on the road. The win helps propel the squad as it draws nearer to the Mid-American Conference tournament.
The Rockets (9-9, 2-3 MAC) came away with two clutch victories in doubles to claim the double point, despite giving up a point in No. 3 doubles by default. Kelsey Anonsen and Lexy Pitt topped Stoynova and Padlas in No. 1 doubles, 9-7. Pia Rygh and Amanda Border followed suit in third-doubles, winning 8-4 over Markovic/Candanoza.
The Midnight Blue and Gold also turned in hard-fought victories in singles Nos. 2, 4 and 5. Chrissy Coffman earned the match-clinching win in No. 4 singles, defeating Golenko, 6-1, 6-7(1), 6-4. Rygh topped Stoyanova, 6-2, 7-6(4) in second-singles, and Border won over Podlas in No. 5 singles, 6-3, 7-6(5).
"This was such a total team effort," said head coach Tracy Mauntler. "I'm so proud of every player after laying it all out on the court today. We played some really solid doubles which helped get the ball rolling early. Then we just dug in and battled the rest of the way."
The Rockets play at Akron at 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 14.
1. Anonsen/Pitt (TOL) def. Stoyanova/Padlas (Buff), 9-7
2. Rygh/Border (TOL) def. Markovic/Candanoza (Buff), 8-4
3. Buff by default.
1. Shah (Buff) def. Anonsen (TOL), 6-4, 6-4
2. Rygh (TOL) def. Stoyanova (Buff), 6-2, 7-6(4)
3. Markovic (Buff) def. Pitt (TOL), 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
4. Coffman (TOL) def. Golenko (Buff), 6-1, 6-7(1), 6-4
5. Border (TOL) def. Podlas (Buff), 6-3, 7-6(5)
6. Buff by default
Contact: Brad Pettiford