Toledo, OH - The Toledo men's tennis team closed out their weekend homestand with two more wins on Saturday, Feb. 18, defeating Butler 7-0 and Ferris State 6-1. With the two wins today, UT increased its home unbeaten streak to eight matches.
The Rockets (8-6, 0-0 MAC) continued their momentum from Friday, winning two of three doubles matches to claim the doubles point against Butler, in addition to sweeping all six singles matches. The No. 1 doubles team of Leo Sarria and Tomas Stillman were able to pull out a 9-7 victory over Butler's Woldmoe/Weldon. In third-doubles, Grant Adams and Garrett Cona also came up with a 9-7 win over Bhattacharya/O'Neill.
Three UT freshmen earned points in the first three singles spots. Stillman defeated Woldmoe, 6-3, 6-0, in No. 1; Adams topped Marx, 6-1, 6-4, in No. 2 and Nick Wong came out on top of No. 3 singles in three sets, winning 4-6, 6-0, 6-3. Juniors Bryant Dudzik and Terence Weigand claimed wins in Nos. 4 and 5, respectively, as Dudzik beat Ervin, 6-4, 6-4, and Weigand won over Weldon by a count of 7-5, 6-4. Roberto Meza rounded out the group with a win over Butler's O'Neill in No. 6 singles, 6-4, 4-6, 12-10.
The trend continued in the evening match against Ferris State, as Toledo won two-of-three doubles matches and five of the six singles matches. Sarria/Stillman topped Galarneau/Roberts in No. 1 doubles, 9-7, and Weigand/Wong came up with an 8-5 win over Keresztes/Hermes in No. 2 doubles.
Adams earned the win in No. 1 singles, beating Galarneau, 6-4, 6-4. In second-singles, Wong defeated Ferris State's Rogers, 6-2, 6-4. Dudzik topped Kereztes, 6-4, 6-3 in the No. 3 singles, and Weigand won, 6-1, 6-2, over May in No. 4 singles. Ben Brocker tallied the final Toledo win in No. 6 singles, beating Marenyo in three sets, 6-2, 1-6, 6-1.
"I believe we're getting better mentally, tactically and physically," said head coach Al Wermer. "All together, we're doing a better job of problem-solving when we get into some jams and I think it's all going to help us as we continue.
"From an individual standpoint today, Terence Weigand provided us with a great spark in doubles and had great energy in both of his singles matches."
Toledo 7 Butler 0
1. Sarria/Stillman (Tol) def. Woldmoe/Weldon (But), 9-7
2. Marx/Ervin (But) def. Dudzik/Wong (Tol), 8-3
3. Adams/Cona (Tol) def. Bhattacharya/O'Neill (But), 9-7
1. Stillman (Tol) def. Woldmoe (But), 6-3, 6-0
2. Adams (Tol) def. Marx (But), 6-1, 6-4
3. Wong (Tol) def. Bhattacharya (But), 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
4. Dudzik (Tol) def. Ervin (But), 6-4, 6-4
5. Weigand (Tol) def. Weldon (But), 7-5, 6-4
6. Meza (Tol) def. O'Neill (But), 6-4, 4-6, 12-10
Toledo 6 Ferris State 1
1. Sarria/Stillman (Tol) def. Galarneau/Roberts (FSU), 9-7
2. Weigand/Wong (Tol) def. Keresztes/Hermes (FSU), 8-5
3. May/Vidal-Cortes (FSU) def. Adams/Cona (Tol), 8-5.
1. Adams (Tol) def. Galarneau (FSU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Wong (Tol) def. Roberts (FSU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Dudzik (Tol) def. Keresztes (FSU), 6-4, 6-3
4. Weigand (Tol) def. May (FSU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Vidal-Cortes (FSU) def. Meza (Tol), 4-6, 6-3 (4)
6. Brocker (Tol) def. Marenyo, 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
Contact: Brad Pettiford