TOLEDO, OH - The Toledo baseball program has signed nine recruits to National Letters of Intent for the 2012-13 season, Head Coach Cory Mee announced today.
Joining the Rockets in Fall 2012 will be Ross Achter (Oregon, OH - Clay), Tyler Baar (Hudsonville, MI - Hudsonville), Ryan Callahan (Delta, OH - Pike-Delta-York), Kevin Kline (Hamler, OH - Patrick Henry), John Martillotta (Chardon, OH - Chardon), Nate Pearson (Toledo, OH - St. John's Jesuit), Caleb Schillace (LaGrange, OH - Keystone), Kyle Slack (Edwardsburg, MI - Edwardsburg) and Deion Tansel (Grand Rapids, OH - Anthony Wayne).
"Our staff feels like we filled our needs with this recruiting class," said Mee, the 2010 Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year. "They're all outstanding individuals and tremendous students, and I love the fact they all work hard to be the best they can be. I also love the fact they are all looking forward to becoming Rockets. I feel this class is going to have a tremendous impact on our program over the course of their respective careers."
Mee added, "As I mentioned, we are really excited about this class, but a lot of recognition needs to go to my assistants, Josh Bradford and Nick McIntyre. They identified the recruits that they felt fit our needs best and they did an outstanding job of putting this class together. I want to thank them as well as our players and everybody associated with the program for helping show the recruits what Toledo baseball is all about. I definitely think that helped these young men make their decision to come to The University of Toledo and be a part of our Toledo baseball family."
Name Pos. B/T Ht. Wt. Hometown - Last School
Ross Achter LHP L/L 6-4 165 Oregon, OH - Clay
Tyler Baar C L/R 6-3 195 Hudsonville, MI - Hudsonville
Ryan Callahan OF R/R 6-3 200 Delta, OH - Pike-Delta-York
Kevin Kline RHP R/R 6-5 210 Hamler, OH - Patrick Henry
John Martillotta RHP R/R 6-3 185 Chardon, OH - Chardon
Nate Pearson 1B L/R 6-1 245 Toledo, OH - St. John's Jesuit
Caleb Schillace RHP R/R 6-5 210 LaGrange, OH - Keystone
Kyle Slack RHP R/R 6-8 230 Edwardsburg, MI - Edwardsburg
Deion Tansel SS R/R 5-8 140 Grand Rapids, OH - Anthony Wayne
Here is a more in-depth look at all nine of Toledo's signees:
• Two-year letterwinner in baseball and basketball and one year in football at Clay High School
• Played for Head Coach Gary Isbell
• Second-team all-city and honorable mention all-district selection (2011)
• Tallied 1-2 record with 4.85 ERA and 26 punchouts in 20.2 innings on the mound (2011)
• Also batted .370 with 14 runs scored, four doubles and six stolen bases (2011)
• Registered 2-1 mark with 3.00 ERA and 10 strikeouts in 14.0 frames on the hill (2010)
• Also hit .273 (2010)
Mee on Achter: "Ross is an outstanding athlete. We feel like he's just touching the tip of the iceberg on the mound, and he's somebody that's going to develop into a force for us. I know Coach Bradford is really looking forward to working with him and watching his development."
• Three-year letterwinner in baseball and ice hockey at Hudsonville High School
• Played for Head Coach Dave VanNoord
• Went 11-1 in school-record 80.0 innings on the mound (2011)
• Also hit .357 with 18 doubles, two triples, team-best six home runs and 29 RBI (2011)
• First-team all-conference, first-team all-area, first-team all-district, first-team all-region and first-team all-state honoree (2011)
• Tallied 4-0 mark on the hill (2010)
• Father is a baseball trainer
Mee on Baar: "Tyler is an outstanding left-handed hitter and somebody that has a real knack for driving the ball to all fields. He is going to be a middle-of-the-order type hitter for us before his career is done. Tyler is going to make the conversion to catcher next fall and he's already started to work on that. I think it'll be a smooth transition for him because he has a great knowledge and feel for the game."
• Three-year letterwinner in baseball and basketball at Pike-Delta-York High School
• Played for Head Coach Jay LeFevre
• Hit .576 with six home runs and 31 RBI (2011)
• First-team all-conference selection (2011)
• Batted .430 with seven round trippers and 30 RBI (2010)
• First-team all-league honoree (2011)
Mee on Callahan: "Ryan possesses some great tools and he is an outstanding athlete. We envision him playing in the outfield during his Toledo career and being a middle-of-the-order type hitter with excellent power."
• Three-year letterwinner in baseball, two years in football and one year in basketball at Patrick Henry High School
• Played for Head Coach Shawn Sunderman
• Tallied 7-2 ledger with 52 strikeouts and 1.70 ERA in 45.1 innings on the mound (2011)
• Also batted .443 with 36 runs scored and 30 RBI (2011)
• First-team all-league and honorable mention all-state selection (2011)
• Went 7-3 with 52 punchouts and 2.81 ERA in 67.1 frames on the hill (2010)
• Honorable mention all-conference honoree (2010)
• Honorable mention all-league recipient in football (2010)
Mee on Kline: "Kevin is a big strong young man and he has excellent stuff. I would characterize him as a power pitcher. He's got the ability to throw strikes, and I think he is going to be a very imposing figure on the mound for us."
• Two-year letterwinner in baseball and one year in basketball and golf at Chardon High School
• Played for Head Coach Ed Mugridge
• Tallied 4-1 record with 23 strikeouts and 1.78 ERA in 19.2 innings on the hill (Summer 2011)
• Batted .507 with 29 runs scored, eight doubles, four triples, two home runs and 24 RBI (2011)
• Also recorded .808 slugging percentage and .561 on-base percentage (2011)
• Hit for the cycle on May 20 (2011)
• Team co-captain (2011)
• First-team all-conference and second-team News Herald All-Star selection (2011)
• Topper Slugger Award and All-Conference Academic Award recipient (2011)
• Cleveland Plain Dealer Player of the Week honoree (May 13, 2011)
• Hit .357 with .494 slugging percentage and .500 on-base percentage (2010)
• Honorable mention all-league recognition (2010)
• All-Conference Academic Award recipient (2010)
• Honor Roll for News Herald All-Star squad (2010)
• Co-captain of golf team (2010)
Mee on Martillotta: "John does a great job of commanding the strike zone. He has a great feel for the game and knows exactly what he's trying to do on the mound as he's breaking down hitters and trying to get them out."
• Three-year letterwinner in baseball and football at St. John's Jesuit High School
• Played for Head Coach D.J. Eckhart
• Batted .420 with three home runs, 37 RBI and .630 slugging percentage (2011)
• First-team all-city, first-team all-district and honorable mention all-state selection (2011)
• Heartland Baseball Classic All-Tournament Team honoree for Team Ohio (2011)
• Hit .406 with with two round trippers, 31 RBI and .580 slugging percentage (2010)
• Second-team all-city and first-team all-district honoree (2010)
• Second-team all-city recipient in football (2010)
• Co-captain of football team (2011)
• Father is Head Football Coach at St. John's Jesuit High School
Mee on Pearson: "Nate adds something to our team as an outstanding left-handed hitter. He shows great discipline at the plate and possesses excellent power. He is one of those guys you can count on to have a good at-bat each and every time. We are really excited about the impact he will have for us offensively."
• Three-year letterwinner in baseball and basketball and two years in golf at Keystone High School
• Played for Head Coach Mark Clement
• Wendy's Heisman Award qualifier (2011)
• Batted team-high .430 (40-for-93) with squad-best 29 runs scored, six two-base hits, one home run and 33 RBI (2011)
• Also tallied 5-2 mark with 78 strikeouts and 2.93 ERA in 55.0 innings on the mound (2011)
• First-team all-league and first-team all-county selection (2011)
• Division III Lorain County Player of the Year honoree (2011)
• Team MVP and Chris Tuttle Hitting Award recipient (2011)
• Hit .382 (42-for-110) with 25 runs scored, eight two-base hits, six round trippers, 40 RBI and 10 stolen bases (2010)
• Also registered 4-2 ledger with 42 punchouts and 2.72 ERA in 36.0 frames on the hill (2010)
• First-team all-league, first-team all-county and second-team all-district honoree (2010)
• Team MVP and Chris Tuttle Hitting Award recipient (2010)
• Two-time first-team all-league and first-team all-county selection in basketball (2010-11)
• Division II Lorain County Player of the Year in basketball (2011)
• Honorable mention all-state honoree in basketball (2011)
• Three-time Lorain County Scholar-Athlete Award recipient (2009-11)
Mee on Schillace: "Caleb is a power pitcher and an outstanding athlete. I feel he's got a really bright future for us. It was exciting to see Caleb's development this past summer, and I think that development is going to continue throughout his UT career."
• Two-year letterwinner in baseball and basketball at Edwardsburg High School
• Played for Head Coach A.J. Gaideski
• Tallied 6-1 record with 58 strikeouts and 0.65 ERA in 49.1 innings on the mound (2011)
• Also hit .275 (2011)
• First-team all-conference, first-team all-district and first-team all-region selection (2011)
• Academic all-district honoree (2011)
• Scholar-Athlete Award and Academic Excellence Award recipient (2011)
• Registered 4-3 mark with 33 punchouts and 1.86 ERA in 37.2 frames on the hill (2010)
• Also batted .302 (2010)
• Two-time Most Improved Player on basketball team (2010-11)
Mee on Slack: "I love the fact that Kyle pounds the strike zone. He commands his fast ball to both sides of the plate. Kyle is an outstanding competitor and has shown the ability to rise to the challenge in tough situations, all traits we love to have in our pitchers. He is going to pitch for us right away and somebody that will make an outstanding contribution to our team during his collegiate career."
• Three-year letterwinner in baseball at Anthony Wayne High School
• Played for Head Coach Mark Nell
• Batted .333 with 22 runs scored, 22 RBI and 13 stolen bases (2011)
• Also tallied .466 on-base percentage, .544 slugging percentage and perfect 1.000 fielding percentage (2011)
• First-team all-league and first-team all-district recognition (2011)
• Hit .490 (2010)
• Second-team all-conference recipient (2010)
• Senior Acme All-Star Team selection (2010)
• Two-time conference Golfer of the Year and two-time first-team all-district honoree (2010-11)
Mee on Tansel: "Deion is a exciting player. Offensively, he can really run, bunt, handle the bat and steal bases if we need it. Defensively, Deion can not only make the routine plays but on occasion can make a spectacular one. He is going to be a dynamic player for us, one that people are going to look forward to see play."
UTRockets.com - Your Source for Rocket Sports
Like Toledo Rockets on Facebook!
Follow the Rockets on Twitter @UTRocketsDotCom